A picnics not a picnic without Scotch Eggs so I had to devise a way to get my Scotch Egg fix. these are really low carb and will not make your blood sugar spike whatsoever along as included in your meal plan and sticking to the 12g rule for your 2 pm meals.
6 High meat content sausages (Lidl or Sainsbury’s have the lowest carbs and no rubbish added to them)
80g ground almonds
1/4 tsp Garlic Granules
1/4 tsp chilli flakes
Salt and Pepper for seasoning (add to taste)
1 tbs of water
- place your 4 eggs into a pan of water and bring to the boil, once boiling start your timer for 5 mins, once timer is up take your eggs from off the heat, drain and refill your pan with cold water.
- preheat oven to gas 6/180c
- mix together all your dry ingredients, almond flour, garlic, chill flakes and salt and pepper.
- add your water to the dry mix until its all mixed together and you have something resembling breadcrumbs
- gently heat a skillet or frying pan and add your crumb mix, keep them moving at all times, they will start to look like toasted breadcrumbs in no time. once all are evenly toasted put to one side to cool
- skin your sausages until your left with just the sausage meat, then cut into 4 equal portions and flatten so you can incase your boiled egg
- remove your eggs from their shell, they should be quite cool now and easy to handle, wrap your sausage meat around your egg making sure its completely covered in sausage meat.
- beat the egg you have left over and make a egg wash to dip your eggs in, then roll around in your crumb until they are covered, place on a baking tray and cook for 25 mins.
4g Carbs total and also makes up your 150g protein for your meal.
serving suggestion add this to a lovely salad or make some of our low carb savoury cheese scones. yummy!!